There is something about the sound of an ice cream truck. It brings me right back to my childhood, running down the street, waving my dollar bill in the air to stop Mr. Ice Cream Truck Driver. My favorite treat from the ice cream truck was always the screwball. It was like two treats in one. I would get to eat the sorbet and then have a gumball at the end.
Some of those classics might be gone and replaced with newer options. Heck, the ice cream truck that circled our neighborhood in Maryland had soft serve ice cream, made smoothies, and offered banana splits. But whether you are a fan of the classics or you just can’t help being with the in-crowd, we can all agree that ice cream needs to be a part of your summer.
I imagine it being like a drumstick but in a taco form. So instead of running to the store to buy some choco tacos, I decided to make a twist on the classic – frozen yogurt dark choco tacos. You guys, I couldn’t stop myself.
Copycat Choco Taco
Yield: 4 choco tacos
- 4 Waffle Bowls
- 1/2 gallon Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- 1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Handful Almonds, chopped
- Remove frozen yogurt from the freezer to allow to soften.
- One at a time, wrap a waffle bowl in a piece of damp paper towel and microwave for 45 seconds. Immediately remove the waffle bowl and form into a taco shape. It’s best to turn over a muffin tray and place the taco in between the molds to hold shape.
- After all the tacos have been formed, fill each with a generous helping of frozen yogurt.
- *Feel free to mix things up here and choose any flavor you wish of frozen yogurt, ice cream, or your favorite dairy-free option.
- Place muffin tray with filled tacos in the freezer.
- While the frozen yogurt re-hardens, place dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time until chocolate is melted (roughly 60-90 seconds) – stir in between intervals.
- Roughly chop a handful of almonds and set aside.
- Removed tacos from freezer and dip tops in the melted dark chocolate then sprinkle tops with chopped almonds before the chocolate hardens.
- Immediately place tacos back in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before enjoying.
frozen yogurt, ice cream, dark chocolate