I’m going to get real with you all today. I love sweets with my coffee. Whether I am drinking coffee in the morning with my breakfast or having a glass after dinner, I love having it with sweets. Think cinnamon rolls, donuts, muffins, cookies, cake, and the like. I really just have a huge sweet tooth.
Because I don’t eat sugary-sweets every single day, I have to improvise and find an alternative that will pair well with my hot cup of coffee. Oh, and I might want to mention that I love creamer in my coffee. I’m a coffee snob and will only drink expensive and rare coffee black, but everyday coffee gets a splash of creamer.
These were the inspiration behind today’s recipe – Five-Ingredient Raw Hazelnut Energy Bites. However, I broke the five-ingredient rule and added some chocolate drizzle, but we don’t really have to count that as an ingredient.
I am also very excited to announce that this is the first time to make nut butter, hazelnut butter that is. I was super intimidated at first but it was so worth the extra effort. I’ll be making my own nut butter from here on out, mostly because where I live exotic nut butter are non-existent.
Five-Ingredient Raw Hazelnut Energy Bites
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Raw Hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup Almond Butter
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 tablespoon Chia Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Dark Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- Over medium heat, toast hazelnuts for 5-7 minutes in a medium pan until browned.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the toasted almonds. Place the remaining almonds in a small food processor and blend until smooth. This will take several minutes for the hazelnuts to start to release their oil. Once the oil has been released, you will notice the butter start to come together. Scrap the sides of the food processor as needed.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, hazelnut butter, toasted chopped hazelnuts, almond butter, honey, and chia seeds. Mix until well combined.
- If the mixture is too dry, add one teaspoon of water at a time until mixture balls up.
- Using your hands. create 12-15 raw balls and place on wax paper.
- *Optional chocolate drizzle: In a small microwave-safe bowl. Melt dark chocolate morsels and coconut oil together in 20-second intervals.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted chocolate onto raw balls.
- Let set in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee!