Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Start your day out with outrageously moist Strawberry Crumble Breakfast Muffins. They are freezer-friendly, making your week even easier.
Raise your hand if you went through the painful experience of braces. I know I did! In fact, I went through several mouth contraptions prior to even the thought of braces. This would be the part that I insert a horribly embarrassing photo of my crazy crooked smile from way back when.
The tightening of the braces was the absolute worst and left me eating only soft foods for several days. I always relied on items like mac and cheese, applesauce, smoothies (before smoothies were a thing and actually used iced cream – aka shakes), and powder drink mix. I can’t even tell you how many times I would take the packets of powder drink mix to school and just purchase milk. It was the easiest and most satisfying meals I could eat when my mouth was in so much pain.
The muffins are super moist with a deliciously, crunchy, sweet, and buttery top. Hello, breakfast perfection! And the best part, each muffin is 127 calories with 7 grams of sugar. That means you can enjoy one or two of them on your way out the door for work, or whatever you have going on in the morning. You also have the option of using fresh strawberries if they are in season. Personally, I just bought a bag of frozen strawberries from Walmart (along with all other ingredients) and slightly thawed them prior to baking the muffins.
Strawberry Crumble Breakfast Muffin
Cook time: 15
Yield: 12 muffins | 1 muffin per serving
Calories per serving: 127
Carbs per serving: 12 grams
Fat per serving: 8 grams
Protein per serving: 2 grams
Sugar per serving: 7 grams
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Skim Milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 packet Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Strawberry Sensation
- 1 cup Frozen Strawberries, slightly thawed and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, cold
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, mix together 1/4 cup softened butter and 1/4 cup white sugar until whipped together.
- Add in the egg and mix until well mixed.
- Pour in vanilla and milk and mix until blended together.
- Combine baking powder, salt, and 1 cup all purpose flour together. Slowly mix these into the mixers and blend until combined.
- Mix in Carnation Breakfast Essentials® Strawberry Sensation packet and mix until combined.
- With a spatula or spoon, stir in the slightly thawed strawberries.
- Thoroughly grease muffin tray and scoop out 2-3 tablespoon muffin mixture for each muffin.
- In a separate bowl, cut remaining butter, flour, white sugar, and brown sugar with a pastry cutter or fork until crumbly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of crumble to each muffin.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cooling completely before removing from the tray.
Before you head out and run to the store to grab all these ingredients, I wanted to share how you can rock your breakfast without breaking a sweat – try for a 7-day nutritious breakfast challenge. You could make these Strawberry Crumble Breakfast Muffins over the weekend and freeze them. Then you can grab one or two to thaw out each night so you have a fresh breakfast each morning.
The last suggestion is perfect for those mornings that you have just a few extra minutes to whip up some tasty drinks. In a blender, you could add the rich milk chocolate or dark chocolate powder drink mix along with some strawberries and milk. You’ll then have delicious chocolate-covered strawberry breakfast drink. YUM!